10 Tricks to Help Indians Sleep Better
Good sleep is critical for good health and overall well being of body and mind. However, for many falling asleep is a challenge.
How to get good sleep? First and foremost, get yourself a comfortable mattress.
For a good mattress, your search ends here. FLO mattresses are the best in the online mattress category. They are affordable, ergonomically designed and these mattresses come in a box. So, it’s easy to unpack and set up.
What is the best way to sleep at night?
How to sleep well? Here are 10 effective sleeping tips to help you sleep better -
- Have a schedule: Your daily schedule has a direct effect on the sleep pattern. When we have an irregular routine with varied sleep times, the body clock or circadian rhythm is disrupted. The circadian rhythm sends signals of alertness and sleep to our body. In the presence of a fixed routine, this signal works well. In the absence of the same, the body clock is skewed and it may not be able to trigger the sleep signal. Even though it sounds boring, it is best to have a schedule to help the body mechanisms.
- Expose your body to daylight and darkness: Another factor that triggers the circadian rhythm is light. Light helps our body to stay alert while darkness triggers sleep. Irregular exposure to light disrupts the circadian rhythm and our sleep cycle is affected. Expose your body to light during the day. In the absence of natural light use artificial light. This will help the circadian rhythm to be in sync.
- Be active through the day: It is important to have some amount of physical activity. Many of us have jobs that make us sedentary for a larger part of the day. However, it is important that include some physical activity into your routine. Be it a walk, a gym session or yoga. Choose what you like, but ensure that you are physically active for at least 60 minutes every day. Experts recommend all forms of exercise in the morning.
- Avoid daytime naps: Lazy afternoon nap is always enticing. A short power nap can help you feel refreshed. But longer naps can upset the sleep cycle. Sleep specialists suggest that a daytime nap of longer duration can affect the quality of sleep at night. It is best to avoid a nap during the day. However, if you cannot do without it, limit it to a maximum time of 30 minutes.
- Keep your room cooler: In India, we experience warm weather for a larger part of the year. Falling asleep in a warm room can be a challenge. The age-old practice of lowering the room temperature before bedtime, is even recommended by sleep experts worldwide. So, try reducing the room temperature a notch to help induce sleep. Also ensure that the mattress you sleep on, does not trap body heat. Like FLO mattress with foams infused with gel micro-capsules, that absorbs body heat and then releases it away from your body via 3D air flow fabric.
- No-gadgets: The blue light from gadgets suppresses the release of melatonin (the sleep-inducing hormone). Hence it is best to turn off all gadgets at least 30 minutes before you go to sleep. Try reading a book, meditate, or take a relaxing bath to induce sleep.
- Watch what you eat: Having a late and heavy dinner can be detrimental to a good night’s sleep. Experts recommend finishing dinner at least 2 hours prior to bedtime. In case you are having a late night dinner opt for high fat and low carb diet. It is proven that such a diet can help induce sleep faster.
- Avoid caffeinated drinks: Caffeinated drinks also suppress the release of melatonin. So, having such drinks a few hours before bedtime can hinder your sleep cycle. It is best to have caffeinated drinks 4-6 hours before bedtime.Green tea or herbal tea can help trigger sleep. One can try sipping on such soothing beverages to help induce sleep.
- Listen to music: Music relaxes the mind and soul. Try listening to some relaxing music before bedtime. There are also many apps that have music to trigger sleep. Find what type of music appeals to you and listen to it sometime before you sleep. There are many who find the combination of music and a book the perfect remedy to fall asleep faster.
- Block out light and sounds: Having light and sound from external sources can hamper the sleep process. Use noise canceling apps or earmuffs to block unwanted sounds. To block out excess light one use curtains or blinds.
How to get quality sleep? Getting sleep 7-8 hours every night is essential for every person. But, if one has difficulty falling asleep it can be frustrating. These are simple tips to help you sleep better. Try them for some quality sleep each night!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How to Get Good/Better Sleep?
- Stick to a sleep schedule
- Create a relaxing bedtime routine
- Make your bedroom a comfortable environment
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine
- Limit screen time before bed
- Exercise regularly
- Manage stress
- How to Sleep Better?
- Set a regular bedtime and wake-up time
- Make sure your bedroom is cool, dark, and quiet
- Limit daytime naps
- Turn off electronics
- Talk to your doctor