A Buyer’s Guide to Mattress Sizes
Getting the size right for your new mattress
You have gone through numerous health and wellness articles about the importance of mattresses in your lifestyle and health. You have made the decision to change and upgrade your mattress to one of the latest ones, packed with features like temperature control, silent alarms etc. You have done tons of research to shortlist the one that seems the best fit for you and your family. Now is the most important step – order and make the payment.
But wait, have you considered one of the most critical aspects of buying a mattress – the mattress size. Your research must have thrown this fact up time and again, mattress sizes determine the health and benefits you can derive out of them. Yes, you know and have an approximate idea of the dimensions you are looking for, after all, how much difference can a small size variation make! A lot, if you believe us.
The mattress sizes are defined and standardized to make sure that you get the best out of your new purchase. Too small a mattress and you can end up with a lot of cramps, body ache and back pain. Too big a size, and you cannot move around in your room after placing the mattress. Both scenarios are not desirable. Hence, we have put together a mattress size chart for your easy reference. All you need to do is find out your needs and refer to this mattress size chart for the one best suited for them. Let’s take a look
The Mattress Size Chart for Quick Reference
- Small Single / Crib: A good mattress starts its journey with you right from the time you have a kid. This size is specifically designed for the tiny tots and is sufficient till their early years. A standard dimension for the crib is 30” X 75”.
- Twin / Single: As your kid is growing, they need more space and hence a bigger dimension of their mattress. The twin mattress dimensions of 38” X 75” have been standardized keeping in mind this fact. The twin bed mattress or the single mattress (commonly known) is a good fit for small rooms having single occupants and are a common occurrence in hostels, single hotel or guesthouse rooms, bunk beds, etc. Quite comfortable for a growing child, teenager or even an adult, this is the best choice when the bed is going to be used by only one person.
- Twin XL: Slightly larger than the twin bed mattress at 38” X 80”, this size is a great fit for adults who are taller and need more leg space. These are a perfect match for those wanting to use adjustable bed frames.
- Full / Double: Another popular yet misleading naming convention is that of a full size mattress. At 54” X 75”, the full-size mattress dimensions are not really enough for two adults, since each person can get a width of only 27”, less than that of a crib. However, the full-size mattress is a great option for growing kids who need more space, adults sleeping with their kids or even two adults in a room of extremely small dimensions.
- Full XL: A close alternative of the full-size mattress, this variant has dimensions of 54” X 80” and caters to the needs of the tall people as well as those needing extra leg space.
- Queen: This is an extremely popular size and is safe to say that it is the most commonly used. You may have seen a queen size mattress in a double bed hotel room, guest house or even in smaller sized bedrooms. Measuring at 60” X 80”, the queen size mattress dimensions are sufficient for accommodating 2 to 3 adults. For the modern-day, small-sized apartments, the queen size mattress is a perfect choice.
- King: This is the most popular and generally the largest size available in mattress shops. The king-size mattress dimensions of 76” X 80” is ample enough to accommodate anywhere between 2 to 4 people. So if you want to have a mattress where your whole family enjoys downtime or your pets accompany you in bed, the king size mattress is the best. While the mattress is large enough to meet all your family requirements, it sometimes becomes inconvenient, especially if your room size is small. Thus, opting for a king-size mattress should be carefully considered.
- California King: The largest standard mattress size available in the market, the California King has dimensions of 72” X 84”. This is especially useful for people who have large-sized rooms or need extra space for their families and / or pets to sleep together.
This is a helpful guide to let you know the options available to you when buying a mattress and to give you an idea of which is best suited for your specific needs. However, this is in no way the all-inclusive list. There can be other sizes of mattresses available as well as customization options that the manufacturers offer.
Mattresses from Flo Mattress for a perfect night’s sleep
Here at Flo Mattress, your sleep is very important to us. We have an internal team of experts who keep working hard day in and day out, to come up with features and specifications that guarantee the best sleep for you. Our innovative products have many attractive features like our proprietary Responsive Memory Foam, the 3D spacer fabric, Aloe Vera Gel lined foam, 100-night trial and a 10-year warranty.
Our mattresses are available in all the standard and in specific custom sizes. So if you are looking for a 4 by 6 mattress online, simply visit our website. You will surely find what you are looking for. All you need to do is place your order and wait for the mattress in a box to be delivered to you. Just lie down, relax and feel the difference with the mattresses of Flo Mattress.